[QuadList] JFK Fifty Years Later--Were any QuadList members working in TV that day?--Have you handled any materials from then?

Steve White Steve.White at 800CallNow.com
Thu Nov 21 17:06:41 CST 2013

Remembering Coverage of the Funeral

- It was smooth, and as sophisticated as coverage of the inauguration
had been little more than 1,000 days earlier.

- In hours, crews began to converge on DC from across the country.

- In less than three days, dozens of camera platforms were put in place
across DC and Virginia.

- From Wikipedia:
> Those who watched the funeral on television were the only ones who saw
> the ceremony in its entirety.  The three networks, ABC, CBS, and NBC,
> used at least 50 cameras for the joint coverage in order to allow
> viewers to follow the proceedings in their entirety from the Capitol
> to Arlington.  In addition, the networks' Washington bureau chiefs
> (Bob Fleming at ABC, Bill Monroe at NBC, and Bill Small at CBS) moved
> correspondents and cameras to keep them ahead of the cortège.
- Not so sure about moving cameras, but almost...

- Taylor & Hobson sent a number of new (expensive) zoom lenses addressed
simply to Pool Coverage (or something similar) to be picked up at DCA.
The story is there was no paperwork, just a simple phone call...possibly
originated by T&H.

- Despite this effort, there still were not enough zoom lenses to go
around.  As soon as the procession passed a camera platform, its zoom
lens was removed, hustled down to street level, and given police escort
to another camera along the route.

- Crews literally ran out of coax.  Shelves were emptied across the
region.  I am told that at least one camera crew had to set up a
microwave hop down a blocked-off sidewalk to reach their destination.

- My roommate was director at the truck waiting outside the White House
gate.  He is reported to have called back to the station, "Take me.  I
got a bunch of Kings headed my way."

It was emotional then.  Even more so now.

Steve