[QuadList] Quad Carts--Links to RCA and Ampex photo examples

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 20 13:47:48 CDT 2012

		On Aug 20, 2012, at 10:52 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

 > The whole idea of abandoning 2" quad cart (and other formats i.e.
1" type C and 3/4") was to have a unified "one size fit's all" for
everything at the network. Office viewing, Net Promos, commercial air,
program air (including prime time), EJ, editing, sports slo-mo, field
production and on and on. One common format and less NABET operators.
A brilliant concept. IIRC, the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson was
the first to go back to 1" type C (BVH-2000) from MII after a very
short "experience" with MII air.

		I say:

	You can thank Steve Bonica for the MII format at NBC.  I don't recall
his position at the time, but his leadership promoted the idea to
standardize on Panasonic MII.  NBC purchased $3 Million worth of
equipment from Panasonic under Bonica's reign.  After the format
turned out to not work as well as had been hoped, Bonica left
NBC . . . . to work for Panasonic, of course.

		David also said:

 > Comparing a TCR or ACR cart to an MII cart and the machines that
ran each format was an eye opener. I wonder if anyone has a working
MII Video Cart (MARC) in their garage operation or museum?

		I offer:

	I'm not aware of any MARC machines anywhere, but we do still have a
few MII VTRs around for the occasional archived material.  Actually,
my recollection of the format is that it produces really nice video
when the VTR runs properly.  Obviously, that's the problem.  The VTR
was tempermental and unreliable.

					     NBC Today Show, New York