[QuadList] Quad Carts--Links to RCA and Ampex photo examples

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 16 08:37:21 CDT 2012

		On Aug 15, 2012, at 11:08 PM, rabruner at aol.com wrote:

 > The Ampex carts for the ACR-25 were quite a bit larger than the RCA
carts for the TCR-100. The Ampex carts would hold about 20 minutes of
tape and the RCA carts were maxed out at 3 minutes. The pictures on
this website showing the carts side-by-side are not to the same scale.

		I offer:

	The ACR-25 carts could hold up to 6 minutes of tape running at 15ips.
	One of the photos on Labguy's website is of both carts together.
Kinda hard to show carts as 'not to the same scale' if they are
together in one picture.  The two carts are not significantly
different in physical size.  I've worked with both machines.  If
anything, the Ampex cart is slightly less thick than the RCA cart, but
wider and higher to allow for more tape.  The RCA cart is a little
bigger in thickness, possibly to accommodate the mechanism to operate
the two aluminum doors, but it's not as wide or long as the Ampex cart.
	BTW, not many know that Scotch made a cover for the Ampex cart,
designed to only protect the tape from dust during storage.  The cover
must be removed before the cart is placed in the machine.  I own an
Ampex cart including the cover: