[QuadList] Digital recordings using Quad machine transports was [old vtrs] Re: tape usage?

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue Mar 9 01:45:49 CST 2010

The Ampex Digital Octoplex was shown in 1979, at the SMPTE 13th annual
Winter Conference in SF.

There's a writeup in Broadcasting Magazine and in Abramson's "History
of Television..."

http://books.google.com/books?id=JMTnTBmt7F0C&pg=PA181&dq=AVR-3,+with+a+octoplex+head&cd=2#v
=onepage&q=AVR-3%2C%20with%20a%20octoplex%20head&f=false

The above preview link has some recording specs and packing density
info on both machines, which will enable "how much tape did it use"
questions to be answered for Richard's presentation.

Bill, do you know what ever happened to these machines?

Ted