[QuadList] 2" Machine-To-Machine Editing

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 19:12:52 CST 2010

As I mentioned before, I did lots of insert and assemble edits  on various
AMPEX machines: 1200's, 2000's, 2000B's, AVR-1's, AVR-2's and  AVR-3's.

A lot of those edits were done by "stretching" between  machines to
roll the source and the destination tapes  simultaneously!!

Then we had remote buttons to roll the machine that was  beyond
"stretch" range.

But...  the AVR-3's were the ultimate in  machine-to-machine
standalone editing.  Rolling the record machine would  also roll
the source machine with no "stretching" involved. The  AVR-3
editor was time code based and it was not unusual to  be
doing edits on cut shots to correct a control room  error.

I did a lot of PM Magazine shows, using three AVR-3's.   The
middle machine was the recorder and the two outside machines
held the source material.  When the control room  blew a transition
I would take control of the source machine, find my cut  point
on the record machine, find the matching point on the  source
machine and do a preview.  When the audio phased up, I  knew we
were ready to go!

Good times!!

73,

Don, W4WJ
Fredericksburg, Texas

Retired from 40 years in Miami Television
35+ years at WTVJ NBC  O&O