[QuadList] Does anyone have/know of working or "could be working" VR-1000's?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Apr 3 11:23:06 CDT 2010

Greetings from gray and sometime rainy northern California...

Does anyone have/know of working or "could be working" VR-1000's?

That's a question that new QuadList member Steve Spears posed at the
beginning of a series of e-mail exchanges with me over the last few
days.

Steve lives in Orrs Island,  Maine and is—as he puts it—the caretaker
for Ampex VR-1000C, serial# 830, shipped to KLEW-TV, Lewiston, ID in
1960, and retired from sister station KEPR-TV, Pasco, Washington in
1990.

The machine was working at the time of power-down, and he expects it
will return to functioning when powered up (with appropriate care, of
course.)

The machine's availability for removal from KEPR-TV was featured in a
1990 TV Technology article. I'm curious to know whether anyone has a
collection of TV Technology magazines and might be able to dig up the
item.

Steve writes that his experience with Quad goes back to 1957 at KGO-TV
in San Francisco.  I'll let him carry the story from there.

Thinking about answers to the question:

I know David Crosthwait has at least one in storage... and IIRC, the
Museum of Broadcast Technology in Woonsocket, RI has one.

A VR-1000 that was at VidiPax in New York was split up... deck is now
with a QuadList member's company near Pittsburgh, and the electronic
racks went to...

(fade up...
"Where have all the One-Thousands gone?
Long time passing."