[QuadList] Request for estimated value of a Mk20 Video Head for AVR1

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 17:14:24 CST 2009

Peter,

I am the owner of several AVR-1's, along with a sizable amount of other
mostly Ampex quads. I am very sorry to hear about your MK XX video head. It
sounds a bit strange that the AVR-1's internal sensors did not shut down the
headwheel motor instantly once air pressure dropped below a certain threshold
(about 35 or so).

The last time I received a quote on a MK XX rebuild, it was about $3800.00
USD.
Occasionally "used" heads of unknown quality appear on eBay. They will
perhaps get $100.00 or so the last time I recall seeing one. But, it's a real
gamble for those items, in my opinion.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)