[QuadList] GPTV quads (was SCETV Consoles--did they look

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 22 22:29:29 CDT 2009

Dennis said:

That's right.  WGTV was on channel 8.  I remember they had their transmitter
on top of Stone Mountain.  Is WGTV still on channel 8 since going digital?

	  					NBC Today Show, New York

The transmitter is still on Stone Mountain, and WGTV is still at channel 8
(actually 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3).  When we did the analog shutdown back in
February, I found the old signoff tape that we used to run in the '80s,
'90s, and early 2000s, and asked Lew Breeding, the interstitials producer,
to try to air it just before the shutdown as an homage to the past.  The
tape is a montage of iconic Georgia images set to Ray Charles's recording of
"Georgia on my Mind," which is the state song.  The tape we sourced it from
was a U-Matic (not even SP).

Lew got it in (with a few changes, and an appropriate message about the
conclusion of the Analog Broadcast Era) and it was the last thing aired in
analog over the GPB network.

As I breathlessly watched from home, I made an off-air recording of the
event.  Kind of sad, yet it was exciting that I was in a little way
responsible for our "homage to the past."

Somebody (not me!) posted the shutdown to YouTube, but due to copyright
restrictions with the song, the audio is muted.  The link broke up when I
tried to paste it, but search for "gptv analog" and that should get you
there.

For those interested, I have strung together a sequence of GPTV IDs and
promos from the '60s to the present and posted it on YouTube.  The stuff
from the '60s and '70s originally came from quad, I'm sure, but all we have
are U-Matic and 1-inch dubs.  Search for "GPTV ids" .

Enjoy!

Sammy Jones
Associate Producer
Georgia Public Broadcasting