[QuadList] NBC Control System now ScH

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Tue Apr 7 10:15:19 CDT 2009

Ah, RS170A.  The kids all go "eh?"  Best 'splanation of Colour
Framing I ever heard was delivered by Ampex's Michael Arbuthnot, who
did a stint at daVinci, I believe and.... where is he now?  Nobody
knows what that 2F/4F switch on the D-Betas is for, anymore, well,
hardly anybody.  Trouble is that interlace is really starting to get
in the way.

On 7-Apr-09, at 8:30 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> Back in the early days of 1" VTRs, we didn't have everything
> capable of correct SCH phase. Some sync generators, cameras, CGs
> and TBCs were not RS-170A and vectorscopes didn't have a convenient
> SCH phase indicator. Also, things drift. So the only way to insure
> perfect RS-170A coming out of the switcher was to use a Sync-Proc.
> Worked well.
>
> On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I wanted to do the same thing but did not see the need in a post
>> production environment.  The most important thing to us was to
>> insure that SCH was always on the money.  That prevented shifts
>> while editing.  Also we needed to do this for the clone tapes used
>> to do dissolves to the same material.
>>
>> I may have misled people a little bit when I talked about the 180
>> degree shift.  This was meant to be the 180 degree difference
>> between each line of the NTSC system.  The old Fsc divided by
>> 455 / 2 gives us the change on each line.  NTSC is a great system
>> for all its drawbacks.  When you think that the engineers designed
>> it over half of a century ago and it still makes good pictures today.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4